All About Maggie

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

MY FIRST TRIATHLON!!!

Eight months ago I decided to attempt to work out on a regular basis. I had moved back to Milwaukee, was going to be in town on a regular basis and had joined a club. Alfredo kept giving me shit about how he was taking all these spin classes and could run all these miles...well, the competitive side came out and said I had to get in shape to keep up! The personal trainer I was working with to tone up, learn how to do weights, etc, challenged me to train for a triathlon. The first time she mentioned it I looked at her and laughed. About five sessions later, I gave in. Why not? I can swim...I can bike...I could sort of run at the time...it couldn't be that hard. Silly me. Prior to this, the longest I had ever worked out on a regular basis was three months...and that was just during swim season in high school. Typically I am motivated for about two weeks, find something else more entertaining, and two or three months later start working out again for a few weeks. That made the concept of training a bit more challenging than it should have been. There have definitely been days...ok weeks...since September when I have not wanted to go within 10 miles of the gym. Sometimes my brain won, sometimes the lazy side won. But, three and a half weeks ago, I accomplished the goal. I completed my first triathlon...and was even pretty happy with my time. 20-30 mile an hour winds, rain and 50 degree weather tried to stop me, but I finished.













I have four more triathlons scheduled for this summer and a goal of finishing a half marathon in September...so hopefully there will be lots more happy stories to come. In the meantime, I'm working on making a habit of getting up early to get a workout in before work. This week...I'm one for three attempts. The goal for the week was three morning sessions, so I still have a chance! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home