All About Maggie

Friday, June 09, 2006

Bad Dates

When I went to yahoo.com today to check my email, I happened to see in Yahoo! Pulse, "The first date isn't going well and you want to escape so you:" 70% of people say sit through it till the bitter end so as not to hurt their feelings. This seems crazy! It seems to me that if a date is going that poorly, it would be two sided. Why waste your time? Just get up and walk away! Luckily, I don't have to deal with this as I am in a happy, serious, long term relationship. However, just last night, Alfredo, for whatever reason, was telling me about his worst date ever. He was going out with some chick and it basically boiled down to the fact that after ten minutes, they had nothing to talk about at dinner and just stared at each other. And yet, they still went out for drinks afterwards. They had to both be hating it...why not just cut it off after dinner?

This reminded me of my worst date ever...of which Alfredo's doesn't even scratch the surface. It was with one of my TA's from an accounting class. We were in an organization together and had hung out at an event a few weeks prior. He called and asked me to go out to dinner and maybe a movie. I hadn't ever thought of him as dating material, but had no reason to say no, so what the hell...it could have been fun. As it turned out, Marquette went to the final four that year and they happened to be playing on the day we had picked out for our date. So, instead of rescheduling our date we decided to just change the plan. He picked me up at 1, with a friend, and we went to subway where he ate lunch (I had already eaten). Then we headed to the lakefront brewery for a tour and a couple of drinks - the glass you get when you purchase the tour will forever be my reward for surviving this day. This took a few hours. I'm not a fan of beer, so I wasn't drinking much, but he didn't let that stop him. Now we head to Rosie's on Water street (I will never go back) to watch the game. If I recall correctly the game started early evening/late afternoon. At this point we have joined a large group of his friends, none of which I had ever met and he is sitting by some other girl. Appetizers were ordered and the waitress dumped a container of parmesean cheese on me. I was smelling mighty nice at this point. He repeatedly told me throughout the night how badly I smelled. We watch the game...Marquette looses and he is drinking heavily the WHOLE time. Now the group is going to another bar to play darts. After this we go back to his apartment (the whole group) to watch some stupid movie. By the time this is done, it's about midnight and I haven't eaten. We all leave his apartment and he slaps me on the back and says, it's been fun...see ya later, I'm going to go get dinner. And I walked home. He did call again, but I did not ever go out with him again. Hindsight is 20/20...I should have gone home after the cheese dumping!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home