All About Maggie

Friday, July 21, 2006

What a Year Can Do

Last night while I was running I came to a realization. A year ago if someone had asked me to go run three miles, I would have laughed at them, turned around, and walked away. If...by some chance there was a reward - yummy food, money, etc - I would have run those three miles at about a 12 minute mile pace. Working out for me was simply a way to be able to eat all the crap food I enjoy without feeling too guilty or having to buy new pants. About ten months ago, when I started getting serious about attempting a triathlon this summer, I talked to my trainer about how to start running without hurting myself. I didn't know where I should start, how much or fast to increase, etc. She gave me a plan to follow - she told me to start at 100 minutes a week (broken up however I wanted) and increase by 10% a week. I laughed at her. I told her there was no way I could run 100 minutes in a week. At the time I was trying to run three days a week and this would have required me to run more than 30 minutes each time, and that, to me, was insane. Slowly but surely I worked my way up in endurance and then she started helping me with my speed. Last night, I ran 4.5 miles in 36:10. I couldn't believe it. It's an accomplishment that I doubt I'll ever be able to do again. Afterall, adding another mile and a half without adding any time would require 6 minute miles and I really just don't see that as being realistic. But...who knows what the next year will bring! :)

A year ago I also had Alfredo picking on me because he could run further than me and he could spin better/longer than me. About a month ago, he was working with his personal trainer. I was also in the gym doing some stuff and Al (trainer) caught Alfredo watching me do something. He giggled and said, don't even try to keep up with her...just isn't going to happen! :) Alfredo did remind me last night that if we were sprinting, he could definitely take me, but had to admit that if we were going longer, I'd take him! Amazing what a year can do! Maybe next year Alfredo will be out there biking with me...on a real bike! Challenge!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home